[thelist] MS SQL Server: database replication over ADSL connection?

Scott Dexter dexilalolai at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 13:08:27 CDT 2004

> Is this going to work over a network connection that's not
> incredibly swift
> and might not be reliable? If the connection drops out what will
> happen?
> Will the remote SQL Server (and hence my website) grind to a halt?
> Will I
> lose data?

I suggest reading up on SQL Server replication, and also what that
will do to your MSDE -- MSDE is limited in number of connections, and
Replication will eat up some (at least one) of those. Replication is
basically a client connection to the destination server, copying
instructions culled from the transaction log to the destination. It
is a transaction-based operation, and will pretty much behave okay if
the connection goes up and down. One thing to be aware of is by
default (SQL Server 2000) subscriptions expire very quickly if the
connection breaks, requiring some hurdles and hoops to jump through
to get it back up. But anyhoo, SQL Server Replication:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/replsql/replover_694n.asp

enjoy--
sgd