[thelist] DNS redundancy

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 21:25:30 CDT 2004

Thanks for the link.

The DNS already calls for each domain to have multiple name servers,
and it's recommended that they be placed on differing networks which
are geographically dispersed. Personally, I'm not aware of any
registrar (that also offers DNS hosting) or DNS provider (at least not
the ones you pay for) that offers only a single DNS name server for
your domains.

Obviously, if you want to run your own name servers, you're capable of
just having a single DNS server. Some people co-locate this on their
webserver if that's the only meaningful host in their domain (since,
if the webserver's down, there's not much point having the DNS server
up either).

Cheers
Ken