[thelist] GET requests and sent content

Paul Bennett paul at web-business-pack.com
Mon Oct 11 14:48:21 CDT 2004

Morning all,
I have recently begun a new job and am involved in building some  web
applications which will and do get a substantial amount of traffic. The
applications have been coded so far to use all sorts of client-side JS
to package and post form requests (some via get, some via post, some via
the xmlhttp object). I have been told that the focus is on minimizing
the size of the data flowing between the client and server.

Now I am definiteley one to avoid javascript when there is a built in
browser function which does the same thing by default. I have been told
by the very knowledgable lead developer that normal form get and post
requests also send back the entire html of the page they are on and
hence they use JS to minimize the size of the sent data.

 This to me seems ludicrous. My understanding is that the browser
packages the request and simply sends back the form data to the server.
If this is true then my job becomes simpler and the web applications can
instantly become more accessible as currently the js stuff locks out
some browsers (I hate this) which also doesn't make sense to me in the
age of standards support and openess that web development is focussing on.

Can anyone via actual reference confirm or deny my suspicions about the
browser GET / POST system???

Many thanks,
Paul B