[thelist] GET requests and sent content

Richard Harb rharb at earthling.net
Mon Oct 11 15:33:30 CDT 2004

G'd evening : )
cc: "thelist at lists.evolt.org" <thelist at lists.evolt.org>

Never heard that one before - sounds very 'urban legend'.

Anyway:
When using the GET method the User Agent constructs an URL that is sent to the server containing
	all enabled variables of the form in which a submit was triggered
	in the form of variable name [or id if name is not present]
	equals
	urlencoded value of the input/select/textarea/
	delimited by ampersand(s)
nothing more (nothing less).

The POST essentially does the same, but the submitted variable names and their values will not show up in the location bar.

@see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1866.txt page 46 ff

Maybe I'm missing something?

<opinion>
OTOH client side checking of data before it is submitted is a good addition to server side checking as it may save a couple roundtrips if the data filled into the form is incomplete or inconsistent. Those couple of bytes sent once in the form of javascript may essentially save some bandwidth in the long run when dealing with more complicated forms where something can go wrong ...
</opinion>

HTH

Richard Harb