[thelist] GET requests and sent content

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Mon Oct 11 16:34:31 CDT 2004

Paul Bennett wrote:

> I have been told
> by the very knowledgable lead developer that normal form get and post
> requests also send back the entire html of the page they are on and
> hence they use JS to minimize the size of the sent data.
>
> This to me seems ludicrous.

I think you're totally misunderstanding his point; a standard GET
or POST results in all the HTML for a *new* page to be returned to
the client by the server.

Using, say, XMLHTTP to retrieve a small XML dataset clearly uses less
bandwidth, since the page markup itself isn't discarded and replaced.

That would be my interpretation, anyway...

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.