[thelist] re: spam?

the head lemur headlemur at lemurzone.com
Tue Oct 12 14:34:49 CDT 2004

oh yes.

not only do I have a rule at the email server for every domain I
support,which automatically deletes this, but it provides me with stress
relief on weekends blackholing these domains.

This approach has been used by the FFA/Free For All link clowns, the MLM
clowns, and just about every other low grade lazy a**hole on the web.

Fast buck artists, scammers, and enhancement folks love this as the current
iteration of link counting as a measuring device for popularity works too
well.

As a webmaster for a small business, having links to other sites are
important, but if traffic is more important than business, just type SEX 900
times on the client's home page.

Attempting to get traffic in this manner, even if sucessful in the very
short term, will bite you hard in the long term.
The primary reason is dilution.
100 views 5 leads, 2 sales.
1000 views 5 leads, 2 sales.
You do the math, you have just cost your client 1000% more to create the
same business.
The secondary reason is constipation.
Let's be wildly optimistic and assume that 1000 views creates 50 leads which
result in 20 sales.
Can your client handle the extra leads in a timely manner, close those sales
and get the product out the door?

This is not a non trivial scenario.

I have one client who had a parttime person handling requests,sales and
shipping. In twelve months there is one person handling the internet
request,one person handling the sales, two people in the warehouse, and
three people in the shipping department.   Just for the Internet.

Because I am in a good mood, you are probably looking for cross marketing
ideas. Sally sells flowers, Mary sells Pottery Vases. Flowers die and
pottery breaks. Having Sally and mary exchange links, makes sense as they
are complementary as you need something to put the flowers in, when you are
in  a situation where flowers are called for.

It is extremely easy to email folks, but if you are going to be taken at all
seriously, you will need to step up to the plate with a real name a real
phone number, and all of the facts and figures on why this is a good idea.

anything less will end up in the recycling bin.

the head lemur

blog: http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/
Community: http://www.evolt.org