[thelist] RE: spam?

Chris Kavanagh chris at logorocks.com
Tue Oct 12 19:12:07 CDT 2004

> My main gripe with the net at the moment ( something ive had an
> involvement for about 7 yrs now - mainly making web pages at cost, icc
> chess, irc chat and some php programming ) is that the statement
> "build it good and they will come" just rings hollow. totally hollow.
> with a million pages coming up each day, how is the little diamond of
> a site going to get noticed?
> Its depressing. really depressing. will rss save the day?

Hey man, don't be depressed.  You're talking about a marketing problem.
  You don't need to understand how to solve it to earn a living as a web
designer.

If you want to learn, and you can't take a couple years out to study
the subject, the next best thing is to probably hit Ottakars and browse
for marketing books you like the look of.  Seth Godin has a lot to say
(and Steven Streight will probably rush to clarify that Seth doesn't
advocate "build it and they will come" by any stretch of the
imagination).  So do people like Jack Trout, Tom Peters...lots of ex ad
agency guys have written their memoirs and you can learn a lot from
them.  And one really good textbook - my favourite is "Principles of
Marketing" by Kotler, Armstrong, Saunders & Wong - will really help you
see where web design fits into the bigger picture.

Best regards,
CK.