[thelist] Date formatting woes ...

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Oct 15 22:02:49 CDT 2004

I would:
a) natively store dates/times in ISO style format eg YYYYMMDD

b) display (or accept) dates in whatever the browser has set as the accept
header (or maybe what preference the user has manually set). You can do this
like so (for example):
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=229690
How To Set the ASP Locale ID Per the Browser's Language Settings

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Smith" <rob.smith at THERMON.com>
To: "Thelist (E-mail)" <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2004 2:46 AM
Subject: [thelist] Date formatting woes ...

: Hi,
:
: I've built this cool web app for my company that keeps track of all the
: things we do around here and while it works beautifully, there has been
some
: concern raised with date formatting. The server is here the US of A, but
at
: the same time, we have employees all over the world using it.
:
: The server timestamps stuff with the MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS format because
it's
: configured for America's time format. We have our guys and gals in Europe
: who're doing 21 September 2004 and the guys and gals in the US doing
: 9/21/04.
:
: One of the things I was pondering was that I detect the user's location
and
: flip a toggle switch to where ever there is a date coming out of the
server,
: it flips it over the to the Europe standard. Visa Versa for the US folks.
:
: My brain is a little fried this morning, can you offer some strategies in
: your multi-national experience and finding a norm that's not confusing?
:
: One of the known pieces of this puzzle is that this is a US based company.
: The tendency is to lean towards sticking with the US time standards and
let
: the folks out in the EU enter dates in the US format for this project
only.
:
: I'm writing a users manual for this web app and we have to write something
: down,