[thelist] Apache mod_rewrite

Symeon Charalabides symeon at systasis.com
Mon Oct 18 18:17:21 CDT 2004

Hi all,

Since I'm running my own web server to serve my latest website, I'd like to be
able to serve generic filenames without their extensions. To be more specific,
I'd like to publish links such as
http://cal.it.nuigalway.ie/members
and Apache to serve the page
http://cal.it.nuigalway.ie/members.php
Of course, this has to also work when there are GET variables involved, such as
http://cal.it.nuigalway.ie/members.php?id=987654433

The object of this venture is twofold:
- casual observers cannot tell that mod_php is installed on the system and
- if I switch to another technology such as .jsp or .asp in the future (as
ludicrous as it may sound), people's links and bookmarks won't be broken.

I've seen this approach before (Amazon does it, for one) and it looks like a job
for the Apache module mod_rewrite. Has anybody any experience with this method?

Thanks in advance,

Symeon Charalabides (cosmopolite trainee)