[thelist] RE: checked vs. unchecked boxes

the head lemur headlemur at lemurzone.com
Wed Oct 20 15:28:02 CDT 2004

> > "Pre-selection" of boxes, boxes that are already checked prior to any
user
> > selection, is an abomination.

I agree. My language selection would be a bit saltier, See Below...

> There are times when checking a box by default makes sense.

There are no times/zero/zip/nada when having a check box prechecked makes a
n y  sense.

Let's review.
A check box is a form element. Usage of a checkbox implies that you have
made a decision to gather information from a visitor whom you hope the
client will turn into a sale, which is the whole point of using a form. Or
at least that is the theory. It allows you the ability to offer the client's
customer a series of choices, of which none, some or all can be checked.
This has it's perils, and is outside of this discussion.

If it is not a choice why is it being offered?

By attempting to use pre-select options you have failed to provide the
client and their customers with the ability to make decisions.

And in a lot of cases abandonment of the customer's interest, which looses
the opportunity for the client to make a sale. Which will impact your bottom
line.

the head lemur

blog: http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/
Community: http://www.evolt.org