[thelist] General Statement - There's Bugs in Everything

Patrick Mcelhaney pmcelhaney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 11:42:13 CDT 2004

> Rob Smith  wrote:
> Although I whole heartedly agree with him, I open a discussion as to ...
> why?
>
> Is it out of laziness of not checking all the p's and q's?
Yes. I would say it's ignorance rather than laziness. Few us know how
important it is to "check our ps and qs." Fewer still know /how/ to
"check our ps and qs."

> Is it inevitable because we're human and not everything we do is perfect?
Yes. But while we'll probably never write perfect software, we should
strive to write /better/ software until the cost outweighs the
benefit.

> Is it ignorance because most everything we do in the web arena is "new?"
Yes.

Most of the people in the web arena are "new" to software development.

Software development itself it "new."

Most of what we do in the web arena is "new" even within the sphere of
software development.

The Wiki has some thought-provoking discussion on this topic:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BugFreeSoftware

--
Patrick McElhaney
704.560.9117