[thelist] General Statement - There's Bugs in Everything

Vail, Warren Warren.Vail at schwab.com
Fri Oct 22 18:12:24 CDT 2004

Diner: Waiter, what is this bug doing in my soup?
Waiter (after close examination): Looks like the backstroke,,,

Nothing will identify your fallibility as quickly as writing and testing a
complex program.  There are people in almost all companies, whose survival
depends on their political skills, namely, pinning blame on others, escaping
responsibility, and taking credit where they can.  If a person can make the
claim that he has never written a program bug, it's safe to assume he has
never written a program.  Finding and eliminating bugs is a science in
itself, and notice I said "finding and eliminating" as apposed to "finding
and reporting".  Those that can "find and eliminate" bugs are the Rodney
Dangerfield's of a company.  Monkeys can "find and report" bugs.

I suspect that being victimized by an office politician on these issues
drives more people to leave the computer field than any other single cause.
I just hope that when my job is sent to India, they place a politician in
charge and make him responsible.

Warren Vail