[thelist] General Statement - There's Bugs in Everything

Jono ox4dboy at comcast.net
Mon Oct 25 16:15:47 CDT 2004

On Oct 24, 2004, at 8:29 PM, Ken Schaefer wrote:

> Someone on this list once said that applictions should never ship with
> bugs - my personal opinion is that that particular person simply isn't
> aware of the bugs in their applications - any non-trivial application
> these days has "bugs" in it. Whether they are really coding errors, or
> the result of other factors (eg misunderstandings or incomplete
> communication between end user and developer) is another issue.

I've gotta' disagree.  We have/are constantly developing a CMS, and
updates and revisions are deployed to our current clients every now and
then with more features and enhancements.  Those new builds are not
installed until they are tested to the bone, and all bugs are worked
out.  I have spent hundreds of hours over the past few months running
this CMS through every conceivable situation and function, once all of
these situations and functions are working, the new build is uploaded.
Of course this CMS is released into a controlled environment, but the
end users, for the most part, have free reign to do as they please with
the CMS and it's content after deployment.

Browser bugs are a bit unforgivable.  Developers of web browsers know
what the browser they are building are supposed to do, and I am sure
they test them, right?  Why don't browser developers/programmers test
all possible situations?  Maybe there should be a universal testing
crib sheet for all browser developers...maybe there already is?  If
you're gonna' put your name on something, at least in my case, it's GOT
TO WORK like advertised...then again, Microslack doesn't really
advertise that IE is supposed to do anything, except browse the web.  I
guess they don't really guarantee that IE is going to display every
page correct.  BUT, MS could guarantee that any web page build,
following the same guidelines set forth by the developers "crib sheet",
would display properly.  Web developers, and browser
developers/programmers could all feed off of the same "crib sheet"
sorta' like a lot of people here feed off of w3c for standard
procedure.  I have never looked into the "crib sheet" theory, maybe is
already exists?  If not, lets get git er'  done!