[thelist] multiple sites on localhost with Apache?

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Wed Oct 27 10:33:14 CDT 2004

Hi all --

I'm trying to set up a web kiosk on an old iMac.  The trick is that
this computer will be completely offline and I need to host a couple
different sites to it using Apache.

If it were only one site, I would just throw the files on the hard
drive and serve them up as 127.0.0.1, but I need to find a way to set
it up so that if the browser looks for www.abc.com Apache will serve up
the contents of /Sites/abc/ , and if www.123.com it will point to
/Sites/123/  (obviously these are example addresses).

Is there a way to do this?  I'm sure it will involve Virtual Domains,
which understand only vaguely, but won't I also have to set up a "fake"
local DNS or somesuch to point the browser to the directories?

All of the sites I need to use utilize Root addressing in some places,
so I can _not_ use
127.0.0.1/abc/
and
127.0.0.1/123/

(Note:  I'm actually using Apache 2.0.52 via the "Complete Apache"
package, not the 1.x version that comes with OS X.  If need be I can
always switch back to the built-in version.)

All help is appreciated.  Thank You! :)

Steve