[thelist] imap

Stephane Deschamps (nota-bene.org) evolt at nota-bene.org
Tue Nov 2 04:25:35 CST 2004

<quote who="Kasimir K">
> Hello,
>
> What do you think: will IMAP work nicely, even if they have a couple
> hundred MB of mail (not in inbox though, but in sub folders)? How about
> email client: is Thunderbird good for IMAP? Any other recommendations?
> Any special considerations?

I'm using IMAP for five subscriptions on a single address, totaling
something like 120 emails a day, and I haven't decided if my evolt email
account will migrate to IMAP or be kept as POP yet: it's very interesting,
feature-wise, but really slow already, even when you consider that all
this weighs no more than, say 200KB a day.

The point of previous paragraph (I should learn concision) is that several
hundred MB of emails may turn *real* slow, put on a server.

Couldn't you try both at the beginning? Say, store a few big emails on the
account, try to see how IMAP reacts, and then decide with your clients if
they're ready to stand the slowness?

BTW Thunderbird does a transparent job of dealing with IMAP. The client
interface is exactly the same as any POP account.

--
Stephane Deschamps
personal: http://nota-bene.org/