[thelist] Complicated PHP Search and Replace

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Tue Nov 9 16:17:12 CST 2004

>I'm developing a rudimentary content management system...

Me too, but in ASP. While I cannot provide a solution just yet to your
problem, I do urge you to take a step back for a moment and consider already
free WYSIWYG HTML/JavaScript Editors that allow you to preview the code as
the users create it. If you can harness that code, then you're set and
problems of complicated searching are over.

It makes a lot more sense to those people who can't figure out what a mouse
is let alone the concept of tags.

I had a rare moment to explain that to a colleague today. I picked up a
Jewel CD-Rom case (with CD inside). I opened the lid and said this is the
opening tag. I pointed to the black part as the closing tag. The front of
the CD is what text you want to show. The back of the CD is that stuff there
(pointing to href target class etc.). Got it? It made sense to him.

Remember people get less computer savvy as you go up the corporate ladder. I
think it's an age thing.

Rob