[thelist] RE: IE search bar

Andrew Clover and-evolt at doxdesk.com
Tue Nov 16 05:53:40 CST 2004

Marc Seyon wrote <evoltlist at delime.com>:

> It was disconcerting seeing the number of "shady" sites with long
> hyphenated urls showing up in google's results

Yeah, depressing isn't it. Everything collapses under abuse. Sometimes I
wonder if it wouldn't be best just to ban affiliate marketing full stop...

> I certainly wondered how many were legit and how many were peddling
> misinformation.

Most of them don't bother to change the details, so that's not so much
of a problem. They just cut'n'paste then add their own adverts.

Even the 'white hats' do it to some extent. I don't mind so much if it's
eg. PestPatrol or Bazooka providing information on things they target,
but it's a shame when it's perverted into promoting crap like *Nuker.

> What's your site? The one in your sig?

Yep! Fares very variably against the scammers in Google's search
results, for reasons I can't quite work out. Something funny going on there.

> FWIW the only spyware *tools* I'd trust are ad-aware and spybot s&d and
> possibly hijack-this.

These are indeed good tools. There are others, but picking out the
trustable commercial vendors from a sea of black hats is getting
increasingly difficult. Must update my site/lists on this...

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com
http://www.doxdesk.com/