[thelist] PHP developer wanting to learn Java

raditha dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Wed Nov 17 07:28:17 CST 2004

Hi,
Kasimir K wrote:

> Hello,
>
> for the last couple of years I've been making my web apps using PHP.
> I've gotten reasonably good at it, and I like it a lot, but still feel
> that I want to broaden my skills by learning Java.

Good for you.

> So what would you recommend as starting point for someone who's fluent
> in PHP and feels at home with ECMAScript? Preferably web resources, as
> it seems that I never get my eyes off of the screen to read anything
> printed on paper...

We had a discussion on how one should go around learning  java very
recently and several people made good suggestions you might want to
check it up in the archives. If you want to write web apps you will need
to servlets and JSP but to do that you do need to get a good
understanding of the java language, the java tutorial at java.sun.com
will help you get started.

--
Raditha Dissanayake.