[thelist] Better Printing

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Thu Nov 18 09:54:37 CST 2004

We have a site which supports Windows MSIE 6 only. One of our pages changes
greatly depending on the data delivered. This page is the one the clients
want to print and they want the printed version to look professional--like a
report.

We have been able to handle most of their requests, but not all. And now one
user reports a bug as well in the printing, one which we can not duplicate.

We are interested now to examine alternative solutions for printing, which
would provide more 'desktop publishing' type of features, like customized
headers and footers on each page and full control of placement of certain
elements on the printed page.

I suggested we could build a PDF on the server and deliver that, but my
manager was not thrilled with that idea. He said it requires an extra trip
to the server and it requires Acrobat to load (he is also not a great fan of
Acrobat).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Hershel