[thelist] iCal Integration

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Mon Nov 22 02:56:22 CST 2004

Greetings All:

   So I'm having a chat with one of our clients and they mention that
they want to have a shared calendar server available for them.  The
president of the company uses a 12" Powerbook for travel use, and likes
the iCal software.

   I google for a while and find out about iCal, find out its actually a
standard (wow) for calendar publishing.  I run across phpiCalendar which
is a neat php application that can read iCal files.  I've run into a few
issues that I'm sure are just because I'm new to iCal (and OSX in general).

   Firstly, is there such a thing as a iCal server?  Some application
that I can run on a web-enabled box that allows people to view shared
calendars, add/update their calendars, access control, etc.

   Secondly, is iCal compatible with Outlook? I googled a bit, but all
the stuff I come up with is iCal servers.  It seems that there is little
support for iCal in Windows (I came up with two programs, WinDates and
the Mozilla calendar project (named Sunbird)).

   The idea is to create a custom application that allows for calendar
sharing in their offices (and for possible remote VPN-enabled users).
They really don't want to invest in Exchange just for its calendering
abiities (they are already using Linux webservers).

   Any ideas?

Regards,
--
Burhan Khalid