[thelist] Direct focus on login

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Mon Nov 22 11:17:43 CST 2004

>>I've found the following to work the most consistently in my
>>own testing:
>>
>>Include this script in the <head>:
>>
>>function focusField(theForm, theField)
>>{
>>   theField.focus();
>>   theField.select();
>>}
>>
>>And this in the body:
>>
>><form id="loginForm" name="loginForm">
>>   <input type="text" name="userid" value="" />
>>   <script type="text/javascript">
>>   focusField(document.loginForm,document.loginForm.userid);
>>   </script>
>></form>
>
> the variable "theForm" is useless in the function focusField.

Doh! Thanks for pointing that out.

> The following code should work :

> <head>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> window.onload=focusField;
>
> <snip>

I remember trying something like this when I first implemented this
functionality and it didn't seem to work all of the time in the browsers
I tested it in. I remember thinking it might have something to do with
the window.onload firing before the entire form had loaded, but maybe
I'm wrong.

--
Sarah Sweeney  ::  Web Developer & Programmer
Portfolio  ::  http://sarah.designshift.com