[thelist] Wanted: Advice on PHP based, open source eCommerce solution

Mark Kennedy mark at eurogamer.net
Mon Nov 22 11:44:20 CST 2004

Hi list,

Just embarking on a small online shop venture (semi-personal project)
and wanted to give myself a headstart by using an off-the-shelf package
I could customise to my needs.

The person I'm doing this for has plopped osCommerce into my lap and
said "use this" but it doesn't look great and the source code is
somewhat incongruent with the way I code.

PHPShop looks like it's gone a little stale although I'm prepared to be
corrected on this point :-)

Zen Cart looks a lot better, but before I got stuck in I thought I'd ask
the list if it had any suggestions.

I want something PHP/MySQL based, which is fully templated and can be
hacked about in a fairly non destructive manner.  I will be stripping
components out rather than adding components in, if that helps.  It's
gonna be a pretty simple site so I don't need anything heavyweight.  I'm
not sure how payment will be handled at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Mark

--
Mark Kennedy