[thelist] Non-Western characters -- what character encoding to use?

liorean liorean at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 09:14:31 CST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:32:00 -0000, Francois Jordaan
<francois.jordaan at wheel.co.uk> wrote:
> If HTML templates for an international site has to cope with a large number of languages, including non-Western ones, what character encoding should I use? Languages may include Chinese, Japanese and Russian.

Well, ISO-8859-1, also know as latin-1, is informally called - Western
Latin or Old Western Latin. ISO-8859-15, also known as latin-9, is a
more modern Western Latin encoding, supporting necessary glyphs for
French, Finnish and adding the Euro symbol.
That should tell you what languages it covers. The best idea for
mainly European scripts usage, is probably UTF-8. For large use of
non-european scripts, UTF-16.
--
David "liorean" Andersson
<uri:http://liorean.web-graphics.com/>