[thelist] Getting results of on-line employment app to client

Dan Leonard dan at canopyroad.com
Wed Nov 24 11:38:53 CST 2004

I'm creating an on-line employment application for a client. Because the
submitted application will contain the user's social security number, we
don't want the form data emailed to my client. What my client would like
to see happen is this -- the submitted form is converted to a PDF document
that is then uploaded to my client's secured web server. A Human Resources
employee from my client's organization goes in, downloads the PDF and then
deletes the file off the server. (BTW, I have the option of creating this
employment app form in PHP or Coldfusion.)

Here's the process I'm thinking of:

1. User submits employment app form.
2. Hitting submit button will:
   a. store employee app data to a database.
   b. send email to HR employee with URL:
      <https://www.myclient.org/submitted_app.php?id=1>
3. HR employee clicks on link, enters login and password to access the site.
4. HR employee views HTML version of submitted app. Clicks on [Print]
button which, using a PHP script, converts html to PDF.
5. HR employee saves or prints out PDF version.
6. Set up separate admin page for HR employee to search database by
applicant name and then delete that applicant's data.

Am I making this process more complicated than it needs to be? Any
suggestions on a better way to get this application info to my client in a
secured manner?

Thanks,
Dan