[thelist] Object tag -- embedding a page in a page

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Wed Nov 24 16:13:31 CST 2004

Hi --

I'm trying to embed a separate web page into my own using the object
tag.  I understand that the object tag doesn't work right in older
browsers.

Supposedly, when an older browser doesn't understand the object tag, it
should instead render whatever you put inside it.  (in the example
below, a paragraph with a link in it).  When I opened this example in
Netscape 4.7 (Mac) however, there was nothing whatsoever where the
object should be.

Any ideas?

Separate issue, but also irritating, is that setting "overflow:
visible" in the CSS should make the object expand to the size of the
content (in this case, the embedded page), but it doesn't do this in
any browser I tested.  Is support really that poor, or am I doing
something wrong?   (This is also in the example below.  Note that
without the height set as an attribute, Firefox showed nothing
whatsoever.)

Thanks for any help.

Steve

This is my test document....

"http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/DTD/xhtml1-
transitional.dtd">
<head>
	<title>object test</title>
</head>
	<h1>Object Test</h1>
	<object data="http://www.evolt.org/" type="text/html" width="650"
height="250" style="overflow: visible; background-color: white;">
href="http://www.evolt.org/">Please click here to proceed.</a></p>
	</object>