[thelist] Getting results of on-line employment app to client

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Wed Nov 24 17:16:38 CST 2004

Message from Dan Leonard (11/24/2004 01:38 PM)
>I'm creating an on-line employment application for a client. Because the
>submitted application will contain the user's social security number, we
>don't want the form data emailed to my client. What my client would like
>to see happen is this -- the submitted form is converted to a PDF document
>that is then uploaded to my client's secured web server. A Human Resources
>employee from my client's organization goes in, downloads the PDF and then
>deletes the file off the server. (BTW, I have the option of creating this
>employment app form in PHP or Coldfusion.)

Two streams of thought:

1. Why can't the PDF be encrypted and emailed to the recipient?
2. If the application is being accessed via a browser rather than in an
email, why do you even need a PDF anyway? Is the formatting that fancy that
it can't be styled with plain ol' HTML/CSS

Presumably the data in the database will also be encrypted otherwise what's
the sense in worrying about safeguarding the email.

>5. HR employee saves or prints out PDF version.
>6. Set up separate admin page for HR employee to search database by
>applicant name and then delete that applicant's data.

Just for the conversational aspect of it. After you've accomplished your
task how often do you take that one extra "clean-up" step? Like putting the
toilet seat back down. Or refilling the ice trays.

In other words, step 6 isn't a good idea because the employee's objective
has been fulfilled at the end of step 5. If you really want the data
deleted it should be done automatically. That's why those Mission
Impossible thingies self-destructed after delivering their message.

(Not American so don't even understand any potential fuss about giving/not
giving an SS number but I would listen to the head lemur. He usually talks
lots of sense.)

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/