[thelist] Getting results of on-line employment app to client

Dan Leonard dan at canopyroad.com
Wed Nov 24 17:46:31 CST 2004

the head lemur wrote:

> First thing If the employer needs the social security number, regardless
> of reasoning, I would probably go somewhere else especially on an initial
> application.

I understand your concern there. Unfortunately, I don't have much sway
with their personnel policies.   :)

> It does seem needlessly complicated as you could from the web have a
> simple check box that would indicate a desire to apply. you can then
> generate a password time limited on the fly or use one of those
> graphic deals for access to the clients secure server, where the
> processing could be done, eliminating the transit of the form data from
> the hosted website, across the web, to a secure server.

Yes, I was thinking I would have the form on the secure server. Is there a
reason why I should limit access to the secure server through a password
or a captcha?

> as far as the HR folks are concerned, the conversion process can be
> monitored on the server and the HR folks could recieve email notification
> of application.

This organization's Web hosting company is like none other I've seen. They
have no admin utility for me to use -- just FTP access. It's a Windows NT
environment, so every time I want to change file permissions on a file or
folder, I have to call the tech guy at the Web hosting company and explain
why I want to make a change. He's a nice guy, but it's a pain. So,
unfortunately, I doubt any kind of scheduling job will be available to me.

> Why they are only going to download it once is a bit weird, (but is
> probably better than hearing the shredder going off as you leave the HR
> office:)

They are so concerned with security -- they want to download the
information and then get it off the server as quickly as possible.

> you could create the pdf and attach it to the HR email and let default
> mail server behaviour handle the deletion portion bit.

Sorry to be thick-headed, but sending the application results as a PDF
attachment to an email would still be a non-secured way of delivering the
information to the organization, wouldn't it?

> setting up a separate sign in seems to me to be way too complicated.
> (but i can't throw stones as one of my clients produces work orders on 4
> part NCR paper on dot matrix printers, and throws 3 copies away, and when
> converted to invoices, prints on 4 part NCR and throws 2 away.

Ack! Reminds me of the waste I've seen working in state government!

-Dan