[thelist] Remote PC Program recommendations?

Tony Page zamba at zamba.com
Mon Nov 29 18:03:17 CST 2004

Hi All,

My 88 year-old, Mensa brained, Times-crossword-over-breakfast Mother
(unfortunately intelligence does not appear to be hereditary) has decided
that it's about time she got into computers and web-surfing from the depths
of Charlotte Bronte's Yorkshire. I have bought her a quite reasonably
equipped Dell which I will set up for her when we visit her this Christmas,
and will also get on ADSL. She'll be running XP Home (and Firefox!).

As I live in Sydney, Australia, it's a bit difficult to nip over there and
sort out her Outlook etc woes at a moment's notice, so I'm looking for
recommendations as to the best (read most solid) way to remotely access/fix
her inevitable problems. My knowledge on this only extends to Remote PC
about ten years ago. I realize XP has built in facilities, but are these
enough? I'm running XP Professional on the network here and cable.

Incidentally, if any of you guys in the UK can tell me whether I should go
with Tiscali or BT ADSL I'd be grateful. Mega-speed is unnecessary, but I'd
rather not shell out too much a month and it appears Tiscali is cheaper...

Ta in advance,

Tony Page

      [ZambaGrafix]
   <websites that work>