[thelist] backup plan

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Tue Nov 30 14:30:40 CST 2004

Richard Bennett wrote:

>I setup an RSync server on a dedicated linux box, with hot-plugable harddisks
>in a RAID mirror.
>I then run a simple shell script by cronjob each day on the machines that need
>backing-up (Windows/Linux servers,desktop and my laptop).

Richard, your reply post is an early Christmas present for me. I have
been talking to a business associate about doing something like this. We
have 3 Win2000 servers, 2 Linux servers, 4 Win2000Pro desktops and a
Linux desktop in one office. We are wanting/needing an automated and
centralized backup for the entire office.

Would you be willing to share details and/or scripts that you use to
accomplish the backups?
Any tracking and/or reporting done for completed/failed backups?
Have you done anything for backing up remote machines (be great if we
could get the second office also)?

Thanks,
Ron D.