[thelist] Where to go for good JBoss help?

Marcus Andersson marcus at bristav.se
Tue Nov 30 14:45:13 CST 2004

Chris Johnston wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to create a J2EE application that uses JMS and am running
> in to some major problems. I have tried looking for help on the JBoss
> forums, on Google and on Google Groups and the amount of useful
> information for JBoss is rather pathetic.
>
> Does anyone know of any good J2EE and/or JBoss forums with
> knowledgeable people who don't mind answering newbie questions? Or is
> JBoss some kind of cult where you are only allowed to know the answers
> once you have hand crafted no less than a 1000 entity beans?
>
> I just have to say that the J2EE and JBoss community just sucks!!!!!
> And the documentation for JBoss is even worse. Where are the documents
> on best practices for creating J2EE applications as they relate to a
> JBoss specific implementation?????

You're not the first person that discovers this as far as I have heard. Many people on many threads on
theserverside.com have come to the same conclusion as you (and then the JBossians come along and tell them
that "that is really not the case because..." etc.)

Can't you use ActiveMQ (activemq.codehaus.org) with spring if you're just after JMS? Spring framework has
excellent documentation and an excellent community that answers almost every question regarding how to use
Spring with different techs. Or do you need the fullfledged EJB container (and in that case you might be able
to use jonas (also open source) from objectweb instead)?

/Marcus