[thelist] Affiliate links

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Fri Dec 3 04:03:34 CST 2004

At 22:08 02/12/2004, Simon Perry wrote:
>Affiliate links code for insertion into an affiliates website
>Code for the complete link to be copied and pasted into 3rd party website?

>Code for an iframe linking back to the display code hosted on the site
>offering the affiliate service?

   From the offering site's point of view, either is useful. I can see the
marketing advantage of being able to alter what's in your affiliate links
without the affiliate themselves having to do anything. However, you can
get the same effect by using a graphic hosted on the offering site, without
messing with iframes.

   From an affiliate's point of view, I wouldn't put anything on my pages
if I didn't have control of it, unless it was coming from a very reputable
company. Verisign's seals and Google's ads are the only ones I can think of
offhand that I'd be happy with.

   I'd vote for the code-for-insertion, on the whole.

   Drew.