[thelist] Affiliate links

plwolf at telus.net plwolf at telus.net
Fri Dec 3 10:06:55 CST 2004

Hi Simon,

Regarding the below, I recently asked this same kind of question in a
marketing forum. General thoughts were that the affiliate would rather host
the entire code on their own page rather than rely on an iframe that relies
upon another site for content.

I'm assuming in the below instance you are probably referring to Banner ads
with affiliate code. I personally would rather copy the banner image to my own
server and place everything in my own page.

I recently solved a problem a fellow was having on his site where he wished to
rotate banners from four affiliate programs he was promoting. Normally, you
place the banner image code given you from these sites on your site and it
links to a CGI script already rotating the different banners they have for
promotion.

This fellow was trying to have the banners also rotate by dropping into screen
view from the top of the page, (example:
http://webmastereseller.com/test/rotator/). Each new banner dropped in would
be a new one. He was trying to preload the banners using the link they gave
him, but it wasn't working because each time the page called the image src,
(ex: http://www.affiliate_site.com/cgi-bin/banners.cgi), the CGI script was
dealing him a different image. The end solution was to download several of the
banners from the Affiliate Sites and host them locally.

Hope that helps a bit, any questions, feel free to ask.

Perry Wolf.