[thelist] Pop-up from an email

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Sun Dec 5 05:52:46 CST 2004

On Sunday 05 December 2004 04:38, Ed McCarroll wrote:
> > Pop-up windows are the future?  The trend seems to be towards pop-up
> > blocking.
> Personally, I hope so.  But I suspect that interactive email, in some form
> or another, is inevitable.

No, we could have had that for the last couple of years, but it hasn't caught
on. In fact, the emphasis has gone from html email to plain-text email.
Any company allowing their people to receive html email are running a massive
security risk (not only because of Outlook security exploits, but also due to
phishing, 419 scams and remote email-address validation and virus/spyware
attachements ).
So in the same way it has become rare for a company to send its customers
an .exe file attached to an email, we will be and are also seeing less
html-only email, and certainly less javascript/flash in emails.
And you'd have trouble passing peoples spam filters - just having html email
is regarded as highly suspicious, let alone interactive content or
attachments.

So generally speaking, set-up a nice page on a website with the calendar
functionality, and then send people an email with a link to it.

HTH.
Richard.