[thelist] "golden ratio" (WAS: 1.61)

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Mon Dec 6 13:16:22 CST 2004

>>> im thinking that using the golden ratio for working out the other
>>> dimension if x or y are given for a window size would be a good idea
>>
>> It depends - are you talking about the size of a popup window, or just
>> the size of the area of a window which you would fill with content?
>>
> well; when the browser is maximised

In that case, I'm not sure how you would ensure that your content would
fit properly in an area restricted by both width and height - it might
be possible if the content was short and if all of your dimensions were
set in EMs, but that would create issues if the user resized the text,
etc. I really don't think the benefits of having a content area
constrained by the "golden ratio" would be worth dealing with the
numerous issues you'd have to fight with in order to make it work.

--
Sarah Sweeney  ::  Web Developer & Programmer
Portfolio  ::  http://sarah.designshift.com