[thelist] Re: PHP mail to many recipients

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Mon Dec 13 07:06:14 CST 2004

Bird, Graham wrote on 2004-12-13 12:12:
> Seamus - thanks for the tip, but I'm worried that there will be a
> performance hit. How many mails have you sent using a loop?

One of my clients has a list of about 10 000 subscribers, and no
problems there. The script timing out could be a problem of course, as
the sending takes some time. To overcome this I've got a MySQL table
with columns: article_id, email_address, date_time_sent.

When then sending is initiated, the addresses are put in the table with
the article_id but empty date_time_sent. Then the mails are sent one by
one, and every sending marks the sending time in the table - this way if
the sending is interrupted it is easy to start again without sending any
duplicates.

.k