[thelist] newsreaders - win32

Steve Lewis nepolon at worlddomination.net
Thu Dec 16 11:46:43 CST 2004

Robert Gormley wrote:

> It's been a long time since I've paid much attention to Usenet. back in the
> days, I used Free Agent, which while good, had its drawbacks. Can anyone
> suggest a good newsreader? Doesn't need to be free, but I'm looking for
> something powerful and professional.

My presumption is that you want to follow usenet threads.  I am using
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5 for that purpose.  I like that it grabs all
headers, but only grabs an individual message if the mesage meets
configurable parameters (default is to only grab message bodies if you
go to read the message).  This lets you survey group traffic quickly
without wasting bandwidth.  Most all your expected Thunderbird
features work just fine, including message filters.  If you dont want
to read threaded discussions, there are other packages oriented toward
those tasks.

hth
--
Steve Lewis