[thelist] Strategic Advertising

Caleb Mazalevskis webmaster at cmaza.net
Mon Dec 20 09:22:18 CST 2004

Hello.

I was hoping to seek advice on methods of mailing list advertisement, if
anyone has any knowledge in that area.

I operate a small mailing list called HitList
(http://hitlist.cmaza.net/), primarily aimed at an audience wanting to
discuss content on my website, discuss any topics based on or arising
from my website (such as music and digital art), but I don't feel it's
reaching it's target audience all that strongely.

What's the best way to go about advertising my mailing list?

Usually if it's a forum or such, you could generate traffic by posting
at other forums of similar interest, operate forum affiliation programs
or add links in your signature on forums you reside at etcetra.
I know a few methods of advertising those sort of things... but I don't
really have much experience advertising mailing lists.

They arn't accessable in the same terms of browser based discussion
mediums in the sense you can't just load a page, read onwards, track a
topic of intrigue, reply etectra (you get the idea).

At first I was thinking news groups... but most news groups don't
tolerate advertising (or the less coated way of putting it, spam),
unless ofcourse that's the sort of news group they are in which case you
probably don't want their redirected traffic anyway.

Word of mouth works extremely well in this instance I've discovered, and
probably better for mailing lists that it does for browser based
discussion mediums, but that can only go so far as if it's word of
mouth, your more likely to just talk to the person anyway and the point
of joining is kind of defeated for the consumer.

Take in mind that I don't have a revenue of money to spend and would
rather hear about methods that don't cost money.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

-Caleb.