[thelist] mailto links & Outlook subjects

Jono ox4dboy at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 10:27:54 CST 2004

On Dec 18, 2004, at 12:00 AM, M. Seyon wrote:

>> Now, whether mailto: links with query strings are to be recommended
>> is another story...!
>
> *cough* *cough*
>
> -marc

I have changed direction with the email links I originally asked about.
  So, here's some cough medicine that I am prescribing:

<head>
<script language="javascript" src="../../../js/email.js"></script>
</head>

And for the link:
<script>mail("nameBefore at here","domainHere","0","?subject=email subject
here")</script>

I found this solution here:  http://www.bronze-age.com/nospam/
This technique is supposed to slip past Harvesters.  I am not sure how
true that is, but it is way better than mailto:.  It does rely on
Javascript, but in my situation the client did not even want their
email address linked (to avoid SPAM bots/harvesters) so with Javascript
off/disabled it will could be just plain text, BUT I think I will need
to add <noscript> to the link for those non-js-having users.

I think I could add something like:
<script>...</script>, but from what I understand, harvesters will see
the "@" and suck the address up, even though it is plain text.  Any
input on this new direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,