[thelist] Strategic Advertising

Caleb Mazalevskis webmaster at cmaza.net
Tue Dec 21 06:13:52 CST 2004

M. Seyon wrote:
> How many visitors does your site get?

Adverage per month of
-73400 total hits
-900 total visits
-318 unique visitors

I'm not too sure how that's actually supposed to work out, but that's
the visitors specs aquarding to Awstats...

> What percentage of them are on your mailing list?

Not sure the percentage, but I total at 26 members so far. Not much.

> What percentage, realistically (100% is not realistic) would you like to see on your mailing list?

I'd be happy with %20.

> What value do I get by subscribing to your list?

> - is interested in reading lengthy blurbs of text?

Probably about 50/50 on that one.

> - is interested in *writing* lengthy blurbs of text?

Again, probably about 50/50.

> - is familiar enough with the Internet to know what a mailing list is?

I imagine it would be quite unlikely my traffic would have found my site
in the first place if they didn't know a few basics about what a mailing
list is considering the type of content and places I associate with.
Though, I don't deny the change of a small portion not knowing what a
mailing list is.

>  From the front page of your site: "For the latest thoughts on the world
> or to chat to other members, you can post to the left or join the HitList."
>
> That sounds pretty generic. I can get latest thoughts on the world and
> chat with other people on pretty much any site these days. Why should I
> choose your little neck of the cyberwoods? Further, why should I go to
> all the trouble to subscribe to a mailing list when there's a convenient
> little "thought" box right there for me to say my two cents?

That's very true. :-/

> Especially after I read some examples of "Recent Thoughts":
>
> " Mysika: Tell me more about u Maiku"
> "Dr Praecox: Belinda, Will you marry me !!!???"
> "Mysika: why do a ritual to god, just cause u love someone"
>
> Not really sterling examples of lengthy communication is it? Certainly
> not something I'd waste my time to subscribe to an entire mailing list for.
>
> Nevertheless, I wandered over to the HitList page. Now that's a name
> that'll make people want to be a member.
>
> hit list (noun)
> 1. A list of potential murder victims.
> 2. A list designating a target, as for attack, coercion, or elimination
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=hit%20list
>
> <sarcasm>Yup. Can't wait to get on your HitList.</sarcasm>
>
> Then on the HitList page you proceed to spend 165 words telling me what
> the HitList is. And, I should add, in tiny purple on black (low
> contrast) text. Then spend a further 187 words telling me "How It Came
> About".
>
> <sarcasm>By this point I'm just bubbling with excitement...</sarcasm>
>
> Within the aforementioned 165 words you state "...the mission of the
> HitList is general discussion, which brings me to why we've got a
> mailing list rather than a forum or chatroom. Every day, it seems that
> more and more people are creating their own forums or chatrooms, usually
> just for the hell of it."
>
> Aren't you creating a mailing list "just for the hell of it"?

Looking at it that way... pretty much so.

> Bottom line, I think, is how many people do you really think are
> interested in a mailing list about your site? You, certainly. Your site
> suggests you have a penchant for rambling, but really, is anyone
> interested in listening? Is it enriching their lives in any way if they do?
>
> The desire to do something different is a creditable one, but perhaps in
> this case a forum or chatroom *is* the best option for your site.
>
> regards.
> -marc

As much as I hate to say it, your completely right.
In all honesty, I really just don't get the chance to see the visitors
views, because it's quite rare that people will actually tell me their
views.
I appreciate your thoughts, and I'm contemplating them quite seriously.

-Caleb.