[thelist] Database Licensing Question

Raditha Dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Tue Dec 21 21:55:22 CST 2004

Richard Bennett wrote:

>On Wednesday 22 December 2004 01:20, Raditha Dissanayake wrote:
>

>>>If its for a small project mSQL will do fine (and for many larger ones
>>>too) without requiring any license to be paid, and AFAIK MySQL is only a
>>>one-time payment of $250 per database , with unlimited users and
>>>processors... doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me...
>>>

>>My understanding was this is $250 per installation. If that is incorrect
>>i stand corrected.
>>

>$250 per binary of the database, if it is used in combination with an
>application that you cannot release under an OS friendly license...
>
>Basically they are saying, if you make money from the software we share with
>you, and are not prepared to share your own work with us, then the least you
>can do is support us financially... which makes sense to me...

I will not argue on  the merits and demerits of their business model
However if their interpretation of the GPL (on which their model is
based on) is universally accepted, open source software is doomed.
Now before someone flames me and accuses me of being an ignoramus about
open source, let me say I am the author of a small open source project
that has seen well over 50,000 downloads.

--
Raditha Dissanayake.