[thelist] Copyright breach - advice please

Help Center Live - Mike mike at helpcenterlive.com
Wed Dec 22 11:11:10 CST 2004

RE: James Hardy

	"As far as I can see there is little or anything you can do, you
released the code under 	the GPL, in translating the images into
Portugese they can be said to have created a 	"derivitive work"."

I think you misunderstand what I am getting at. He has not changed any
of the actual source code, but the copyright notice has been changed,
therefore it is not a derivative work.

-----------

RE: Marc Seyon

	"I'd say they are not actually coming out and claiming ownership of
the code."

He is claiming ownership of the code, simply by changing the copyright
without altering the code in any way apart from translating it (which
only requires changes to one file and images)

RE: Keith Gaughan

	"Tell the FSF. After all, you licensed it under the GPL, and this is a
	GPL infringement, so they'll help you deal with the fools."

I will do.

Thanks for all your comments.

Mike

Message from Help Center Live - Mike (12/22/2004 10:50 AM)