[thelist] Copyright breach - advice please

Raditha Dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Wed Dec 22 19:01:39 CST 2004

James Hardy wrote:

> And lo; it came to pass that the great prophet, James Hardy spake. And
> the huddled masses rejoiced to hear:
>
>> As they give away all the code themselves and a copy of the GPL with
>> it, they seem to be in full compliance
>

> Ok, just read Andre's post, it looks like they are in violation with
> their clause about not modifiying without permission, so they are
> legally in the wrong.
>
> IANAL, but I believe that if they are in violation of the GPL their
> license is revoked and by continuing to publish it they would be in
> violation of the copyright and could therefore be sued. I suppose this
> depends on if Brazil are party to the Berne convention or other such
> stuff.

Releasing code under GPL does not mean you are giving up your copyright.
Releasing code under GPL merely gives the others the right to
redistribute your code. The copyright still belongs to the original
author. Contributers may claim copyright on the sections that they have
contributed. But no one can replace the copyright notices.

I am not a lawyer either, just an open source developer.

--
Raditha Dissanayake.