[SPAM] Re: [thelist] What site builder to use

Rosalie Sennett rsennett at brainlink.com
Sat Jan 1 23:48:10 CST 2005

Adam,

If you have Dreamweaver, you've got both an HTML tool and a site manager all
in one. What I do suggest is that you might invest in a month's worth of
time at the Lynda Weinmann online training library and run through the
Dreamweaver movies. (That is $25 US)
http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/index.asp

I found those really helpful when I was transitioning from another tool a
while back. It is a combination of how to use the tool itself combined with
tips and techniques that will teach you how to create sites including the
(X)HTML. The pace of the movies in that library are really well done and as
a beginner you'll be happy to find that the instructors do not assume you
have previous knowledge.

Also, if you're using Windows XP, you may find that the IIS (the webserver
that comes with windows) can be installed (I can't remember if XP Standard
has this or not) if you go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and then
click on the Windows application icon. If you scroll through those apps,
you'll notice that a web server is listed.

I think they actually show you how to install this in the Lynda Library
during one of the Dreamweaver MX 2004 tutorials.

It is a good idea to start to work with a web server. Your perspective on
how things connect to on another will become skewed if you're only working
with local file references.

Best of luck,

rose

c:/dos