[thelist] IE6 and XML with XSLT printing troubles

Diane Soini diane at dianesoini.com
Fri Jan 7 08:48:42 CST 2005

I've taken an RDF XML file and applied a simple XSL style sheet to
layout the data in a basic HTML table, minus the unnecessary columns.
Nothing fancy, nothing you wouldn't find in a basic tutorial. It
renders faithfully in Windows IE6.

The resulting table fits in about 3 pages with landscape orientation,
so it's not a whole lot. However, when I go to actually print the
document (from IE6), the size of the file sent to the printer
approaches infinity. I watch in print preview as the page number
approaches 1000. I nearly killed an entire forest of trees before I
realized what was happening.

I've tried also opening the XML file with Excel. It does the same
thing, filling in rows for all eternity, unless I opt out of applying
the style sheet. (I have Office 2003 on XP Pro, by the way.)

I also cannot copy and paste the data from IE6 into another document.
All it copies is the URL to the XML file. And, I cannot open another
different XML file at the same time in a new window. When I do, the
first browser window also opens the new file.

What the heck?? Is this a common problem? Is there a fix? It would be
really handy if my supervisor could just open up the file that resides
on the server in IE or Excel in order to see all the data rather than
me remembering to update a separate file with the data. I have no
server technology available, so I thought this might suffice. Help!

Diane