[thelist] easy one - ASP open new window

James Hardy evolt at weeb.biz
Mon Jan 10 10:00:48 CST 2005

And lo; it came to pass that the great prophet, Brian Delaney spake. And
the huddled masses rejoiced to hear:

> How do I open the new window deathlog.asp using asp only that is full
> screen and then close the login.asp window?
>
> Thanks

Yep it is an easy one.

assuming that you got the login page to popup through javascript
window.open, all you need to do is once the page has successfully
verified the user, get it to excute the script:

<script type="text/javascript">
window.opener.location.href='http://your.address/here.asp';
self.close();
</script>

window.opener is a really useful little object that points at window
object that opened this one, so you can of course get it to do anything
that you could do normally from within that page.

Of course as a usability issue you should have some kind on non JS
method of logging in that doesn't pop up a box, yadda yadda yadda.