[thelist] nameserver question

James Hardy evolt at weeb.biz
Mon Jan 10 10:41:32 CST 2005

And lo; it came to pass that the great prophet, Alex Beston spake. And
the huddled masses rejoiced to hear:
> Ok this question concerns nameservers for websites.

> Could someone with more experience in this sort of matter help me on
> this tricky question?

Hi Alex,
	First off, I am not a dns expert, I have configured my fair share of
zones, and managed a couple of redelegations but I lack guru status, so
if someone tells me I am wrong - I probably screwed up somewhere.

When delegating a domain to a new nameserver, only the name is usually
needed. eg If was a hostmaster and ran nameservers called
ns1.mycompany.co.uk and ns2.mycompany.co.uk, then my customer can
delegate his domain, hisdomain.com to those name servers no problems,
this is because the root servers can lookup the ip address of those name
servers themselves. As for IP addresses within hisdomain.com, well those
are now my problem, as they have been delgated to me.

The exception to this is of course my own domain mycompany.co.uk, which
I shall quite naturally want to host myself. As ns1 and ns2 are within
my domain I have to tell the powers what their IP addresses are. But
this is the only case where it is neccesary.

If you let us know the domain names in question, I would be happy to
have a look at it's configuration and see if anything shouts out at me
as being fubared.

MenAndMice.com has a lot of useful information and tools at
http://www.menandmice.com/9000/9000_the_dns_place.html by the way.

James