[thelist] more SSI questions

Christian Heilmann lists at onlinetools.org
Mon Jan 10 17:23:04 CST 2005

Bruce Gilbert wrote:

>I was able to figure out the xhtml issue with the include tag, BUT now
>I have more SSI Q's I was hoping somone could help me out with.
>
>I am not very familiar with using SSI's, but I am wishing to use them
>in a new site I am developing. I have some questions, some of which
>may seem silly to those more familiar with includes.
>
>I am using DW and insert the SSI as such for a footer.

><!--#include virtual="../SSI/footer.htm" -->
>
>I have the footer file on the server in an SSI folder which only
>contains the code for the footer code, no <head><body> tags etc. Good
>so far?

Yes

>now...
>Do I need to name the file containing the SSI with a .shtml extension
>for it to work? and are there any special configurations that need to
>be made to the server in order for the SSI to work??

Only the file including the others need to be shtml. the includes can be
anything, html or even txt. The file ending .shtml tells the server to
parse the above statement as an include, load the linked file and print
it out. Without the shtml extension, it'll treat the include command as
a normal HTML comment.

A good tutorial on  SSI: http://www.tdscripts.com/ssi.html

HTH