[thelist] more SSI questions

Rich Points rich at richpoints.com
Mon Jan 10 16:53:55 CST 2005

>now...
>Do I need to name the file containing the SSI with a .shtml extension
>for it to work? and are there any special configurations that need to
>be made to the server in order for the SSI to work??

Yes you need to tell Apache to use SSI, do some searches on this and
that should get you there.  If you are hosting with a company the server
is likely already set up to do this.

.shtml will make it work.  You can also use .html but you will have to
chmod each parent file to 755.

I do the latter on one of the sites I manage and it's a pain in the
butt.  If I could start all over again I would use PHP includes instead
which don't require chmod.  In the future if you want to use some other
cool PHP stuff your site will already be set up.