[thelist] more SSI questions

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Mon Jan 10 17:15:43 CST 2005

Bruce Gilbert wrote:
> Do I need to name the file containing the SSI with a .shtml extension
> for it to work? and are there any special configurations that need to
> be made to the server in order for the SSI to work??

Assuming you're on Apache...  Usually that would be the default, but you
can override that with a line in an .htaccess file to use another
extension.  For example:
AddHandler server-parsed .html

Would set .html files to be treated the same way that .shtml files
usually are.  I personally use php for most things, so I often have
.html files processed by php, but perhaps that's not where you want to go.
cf re .htaccess:
http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess4.shtml
re SSI:
http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/SSI/Intro/format.html