[thelist] need to make changes to breadcrumb script to fit my needs

Bruce Gilbert webguync at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 17:42:45 CST 2005

Hello,

I am using a js breadcrumb script that spits out links based upon the
directory structure my files are in (they probably all do this), but I
need to alter the code to fit my needs or find a better one. I'm not
familiar enough with js to be able to alter it without some
assistance.

What I have in my directory structure is this: all html files>>top
level>>sublevel>>sub_sub level etc.

I want to keep all the html files in one big folder with subfolders
for maintenance purposes. The code I have reads everything, so it will
give me links for exactly what I have in my file structure (see
above). I would like it to ignore the first folder (html files) and
just give me top level>>sublevel>> sub_sublevel. It also makes the
breadcrumb for the page you are on a link, and I would rather not have
the current page as a link.

Hopfully someone can point me in the right direction!

here is my current breadcrumbs code:

var path = "";
var href = document.location.href;
var s = href.split("/");
for (var i=3;i<(s.length-1);i++) {
path+="<a href=\""+href.substring(0,href.indexOf(s[i])+s[i].length)+"/\"
title=\"Go up "+ (s.length-i-1) +" levels to
"+s[i]+"\">"+unescape(s[i])+"</a> &gt;&gt; ";
}
i=s.length-1;
path+="<a href=\""+href.substring(0,href.indexOf(s[i])+s[i].length)+"\"
title=\"You are currently viewing this page\">"+s[i]+"</a>";
var url = path;
document.writeln(url);

TIA!
--